Software apps and online services
I was bored, that I had to look up for how long the eggs should be in the water for them to be boiled just fine. So I looked it up one last time. I put it in Node-RED and now I just use my BigClown Push button kit every time I want to cook some eggs.
You will need the Push button kit, it is really easy to assemble. Just put Battery Module, then Core Module and on top of it goes the Button Module. This simple assembly is also shown in the video below.
This is all the hardware you will need for this project.
- Download BigClown Playground.
- If you bought the Push Button Kit you will receive the Core Module with the firmware on it.
- Otherwise you can see documentation page on how to flash the firmware with BigClown Playground.
- You will need the bcf-radio-push-button firmware for this project.
- If you bought the Starter Kit you will receive everything paired and ready for use.
- Otherwise you will have to pair it yourself. You can follow the guide in the documentation
Open Node-RED in the Playground or Raspberry Pi and import the flow from here. Go to the Menu -> Import -> Clipboard. Do not forget to hit "Deploy" in the top right corner to apply the changes.
You can leave the flow as it is but there are a lot of possibilities for customization. You can customize the times if you have some better recipes than me :). I used times from this website.
You will customize the time by opening the Start message function, you can change the value of a timeRemaining variable from '240' to anything else you want, the value is in seconds.
Of course, the messages are customizable too, just change the values in the array of messages that are located in the Cooked Message Node.
This project is ready for Blynk integration. How to set up Blynk with your BigClown Playground is described in this guide. Start from step 2 and in step 4 scan the QR code that is shown below.
This Blynk application sends you a notification when you press the button so you make sure that you have your phone near. After that it waits some specified time and notifies you when the eggs are ready.
Also, you see seconds remaining before next cooked state and current cooked state.
If you want to stop cooking at any time just press the button, if the color of it is green the cooking is done and you are ready to use this application again when needed.
You can use other included functions of Push button kit and this firmware like thermometer or accelerometer.
It sends orientation of the device to the Node-RED so you can play with that and trigger some actions with it.
Check the temperature in your kitchen with it, it does the measurements every few minutes and sends the temperature to the Node-RED as well.
Feel free to ask any questions about this project.
- Visit BigClown page on hackster.io for more interesting projects or go directly to their website
- Go to BigClown documentation to learn more about their modules and other possibilities of the platform.
- Try more firmware from BigClown Playground or write your own, it is easy to start.
- Because everything is Open source you can get all firmware on Git Hub, get some inspiration and try to make your own applications.
- Get your own BigClown Hub to replace your computer in this project so you have always access to your applications.
- Check out more applications that can be used with BigClown in Integrations section.