Software apps and online services
My roommate sometimes leaves the door to the fridge open, so the fridge has big power consumption and it makes the frosting. I put my Smart Fridge Monitor in there so I always know about the temperature and also get a notification if he leaves it open for too long so I can close it.
I used BigClown technology, they already have firmware that is suited for this solution, so I just customized the flow in the Node-RED and it was all set up. My device runs just on two AAA batteries, it can work for up to two years.
If you have trouble assembling the device you can watch the video below for complete guide. But it should be simple for anyone.
For more information about all the modules you can visit Documentation.
Connect Core Module to your computer via USB, open BigClown Playground and you can flash firmware onto it.
You will need Radio Climate Monitor firmware that is already included in the Playground.
In the field, type climate and choose the first firmware.
After you selected the firmware and the Core module below you should see screen like this:
Here you just click Flash firmware and wait. After it is done, unplug the Core Module from the computer and you are ready to continue.
- Connect Radio Dongle to your computer
- In BigClown Playground go to Devices tab
- Choose the connected Radio Dongle from the list and click Connect
- Click Start pairing button
- Power up the Core Module by plugging it into the computer or by inserting the batteries
- The device will appear in the table with Alias climate-monitor:0
- Don't forget to stop pairing by clicking Stop pairing
Open Node-RED in Playground (Functions tab) or on your Raspberry Pi and import this simple function from the here. Just copy everything, go to Menu -> Import -> Clipboard and paste it there.
After Import hit Deploy in the top right corner to upload the change.
In this function you can change the message that will appear when the doors are open for too long. You can also change the time before you are notified that they are still open. Go to Open doors checker function and change the marked value. Time will be the value times 5 seconds.
This project is ready for Blynk integration. How to set up Blynk with your BigClown Playground is described here. Start from step 2 and in step 4 scan the QR code that is shown below.
In this blynk application, you see the temperature in your fridge and get a notification when the fridge is opened for too long, also if the led is on the fridge is still open.
Just put your device into the fridge and let the temperature settle down, after a while you will see the correct numbers.
If you have everything done you can get one of the 3D printed enclosures.
You can also put this device into the freezer, it can handle sub-zero temperatures.
I will be happy for any suggestions or ideas about this project.
Feel free to ask and I will try to answer any question.
- Visit BigClown page on hackster.io for more interesting projects or go directly to their website
- Go to BigClown documentation to learn more about their modules and other possibilities of the platform.
- Try more firmware from BigClown Playground or write your own, it is easy to start.
- Because everything is Open source you can get all firmware on Git Hub, get some inspiration and try to make your own applications.
- Get your own BigClown Hub to replace your computer in this project so you have always access to your applications.
- Check out more applications that can be used with BigClown in Integrations section.