Software apps and online services
My cabin was robbed recently, thankfully I didn't have many things there yet. But I decided that I will make some alarm system, I wanted something affordable and reliable, so I used BigClown Motion Detector Kit, it uses radio, and it runs on batteries.
I can turn my alarm on/off from my phone, so if someone is there when nobody should be I get a quick notification to my phone.
For more information about all the modules you can visit Documentation.
- Connect Radio Dongle to your computer
- In BigClown Playground go to Devices tab
- Choose the connected Radio Dongle from the list and click Connect
- Click Start pairing button
- Power up the Core Module by plugging it into the computer or by inserting the batteries
- The device will appear in the table with Alias burglar-alarm:0
- Don't forget to stop pairing by clicking Stop pairing
Open Node-RED in Playground (Functions tab) or on your Raspberry Pi and import this simple function. Just copy everything, go to Menu -> Import -> Clipboard and paste it there. With this function you can control Alarm state through Dashboard with simple switch.
You can change the message that will pop up on the notification in the message function.
After Import hit Deploy in the top right corner to upload the change.
This project is ready for Blynk integration. How to set up Blynk with your BigClown Playground is described here. Start from step 2 and in step 4 scan the QR code that is shown below.
This blynk application sends you notifications when there is movement and the alarm is on. You can also add your camera to it so you see who is triggering the alarm and maybe take a photo of him as evidence.
Put your alarm behind your doors, or anywhere where it can see the potential burglar and set it on. Everything else is done.
Finished device also sends temperature every few seconds, so you can use it as a thermometer at your cabin or house, just add some graph into NODE-Red flow.
You can simply connect this device with your other devices, so it sets the lights on in the house, start a siren or anything else that comes to your mind, maybe it will scare the burglar off.
If you have a bigger building you can use multiple of these devices. It is easy to update the NODE-Red function so they work together.
I will be happy for any suggestion or idea about this project.
Feel free to ask and I will try to answer any question.
- Visit BigClown page on hackster.io for more interesting projects or go directly to their website
- Go to BigClown documentation to learn more about their modules and other possibilities of the platform.
- Try more firmware from BigClown Playground or write your own, it is easy to start.
- Because everything is Open source you can get all firmware on Git Hub, get some inspiration and try to make your own applications.
- Get your own BigClown Hub to replace your computer in this project so you have always access to your applications.
- Check out more applications that can be used with BigClown in Integrations section.