Software apps and online services
My cabin was robbed recently, thankfully I didn't have many things there yet. But I decided that I will make some alarm system, I wanted something affordable and reliable, so I used HARDWARIO IoT Kit Motion Detector Kit, it uses radio, and it runs on batteries.
I can turn my alarm on/off from my phone, so if someone is there when nobody should be I get a quick notification to my phone.
For more information about all the modules you can visit Documentation.
- Download HARDWARIO Playground.
- You can see documentation page on how to flash the firmware with HARDWARIO Playground.
- You will need the bcf-radio-burglar-alarm firmware for this project.
You need to pair the Core module with the Radio dongle that you are using, follow the instructions below to see how it is done.
The same thing will go if you are using a Raspberry Pi as a server, just access the Raspberry through the IP address instead of the Playground
- Connect your USB Radio Dongle to your computer.
- Open HARDWARIO Playground
- Click Start Pairing the LED on the dongle should start blinking
- Connect the device that you want to pair into your computer or insert the batteries.
- Wait for the device to appear in the table
- It should add the device with the Alias: burglar-alarm:0
- Click Stop Pairing
Open Node-RED in Playground (Functions tab) or on your Raspberry Pi and import this simple function. Just copy everything, go to Menu -> Import -> Clipboard and paste it there. With this function you can control Alarm state through Dashboard with simple switch.
You can change the message that will pop up on the notification in the message function.
After Import hit Deploy in the top right corner to upload the change.
This project is ready for Blynk integration. How to set up Blynk with your HARDWARIO Playground is described in this guide.
Follow the guide if you want to make your own blynk app. If you want to use the one specified for this project in the Blynk app click this Icon and scan the QR code bellow.
This blynk application sends you notifications when there is movement and the alarm is on. You can also add your camera to it so you see who is triggering the alarm and maybe take a photo of him as evidence.
Put your alarm behind your doors, or anywhere where it can see the potential burglar and set it on. Everything else is done.
Finished device also sends temperature every few seconds, so you can use it as a thermometer at your cabin or house, just add some graph into NODE-Red flow.
You can simply connect this device with your other devices, so it sets the lights on in the house, start a siren or anything else that comes to your mind, maybe it will scare the burglar off.
If you have a bigger building you can use multiple of these devices. It is easy to update the NODE-Red function so they work together.
I will be happy for any suggestion or idea about this project.
Feel free to ask and I will try to answer any question.
- Visit HARDWARIO page on hackster.io for more interesting projects or go directly to their website
- Go to HARDWARIO documentation to learn more about their modules and other possibilities of the platform.
- Try more firmware from HARDWARIO Playground or write your own, it is easy to start.
- Because everything is Open source you can get all firmware on GitHub, get some inspiration and try to make your own applications.
- Get your own HARDWARIO Hub to replace your computer in this project so you have always access to your applications.
- Check out more applications that can be used with HARDWARIO IoT Kit in Integrations section.