Software apps and online services
I went to the bathroom yesterday night and I couldn't find the light switch. After I found it I was blinded by the strong light bulb that I have there. So I decided that I will make a more comfortable solution.
I made smart motion-controlled night lamp with HARDWARIO IoT Kit and Node-RED.
Now I just walk into my bathroom and lights are on. I can adjust the color and brightness of the light so it is not as aggressive as a normal light bulb. It triggers after a specific hour that I can change in Node-RED or Blynk any time.
- Download HARDWARIO Playground.
- You can see documentation page on how to flash the firmware with HARDWARIO Playground.
- You will need the bcf-radio-night-lamp firmware for this project.
You need to pair the Core module with the Radio dongle that you are using, follow the instructions below to see how it is done.
The same thing will go if you are using a Raspberry Pi as a server, just access the Raspberry through the IP address instead of the Playground
- Connect your USB Radio Dongle to your computer.
- Open HARDWARIO Playground
- Click Start Pairing the LED on the dongle should start blinking
- Connect the device that you want to pair into your computer or insert the batteries.
- Wait for the device to appear in the table
- It should add the device with the Alias: night-lamp:0
- Click Stop Pairing
After you did all this you can unplug the device from the computer and insert the batteries, it will run on them without a problem. Next steps will be done on the computer, so you can leave the device and focus on the Playground.
Open Node-RED in the Playground or Raspberry Pi and import this function in the Menu -> Import -> Clipboard. Do not forget to hit "Deploy" in the top right corner to apply the changes.
This flow is all set up for complete control of Night Lamp project. And ready for Blynk use. And you don't have to worry about the power outage, it saves all needed variables.
This project is ready for Blynk integration. How to set up Blynk with your HARDWARIO Playground is described in this guide.
Follow the guide if you want to make your own blynk app. If you want to use the one specified for this project in the Blynk app click this Icon and scan the QR code bellow.
Everything in Blynk project is connected to Dashboard in HARDWARIO Playground so you can control it from both applications without any problems.
You can set brightness, color and the time for how long it will stay up after the last movement was registered by the device. Also you can set when it will start registering movements and when it stops.
You can take this project and use it at more places so you won't have to bother with any light switches at night, it will turn on and off automatically.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments.
- Visit HARDWARIO page on hackster.io for more interesting projects or go directly to their website
- Go to HARDWARIO documentation to learn more about their modules and other possibilities of the platform.
- Try more firmware from HARDWARIO Playground or write your own, it is easy to start.
- Because everything is Open source you can get all firmware on GitHub, get some inspiration and try to make your own applications.
- Get your own HARDWARIO Hub to replace your computer in this project so you have always access to your applications.
- Check out more applications that can be used with HARDWARIO IoT Kit in Integrations section.